Well, the much awaited phone call happened on Mother's Day at about 6:30 pm. It must have been about 11:00 am or 12:00 am Monday morning in Australia. We gathered around the phone and asked Elder Nelson lots of questions and shared everything that is happening here. It was such a fun time for all of us! One of the things he said really made me think. I asked him, "were you ever homesick?" and he replied, "oh Mum dont worry about it", and I replied, "listen Michael, you have been gone for almost a year now. Before you left I knew everything going on in your life and now I know nothing...this is so hard!" and he replied, "I know isn't it great, the apron strings have been cut". Then he proceeded to tell me a little bit about his adjustment, which wasn't a difficult one for him. He truly has been blessed with good experiences and a positive attitude to get him thru. He said he has never had a time when he has wanted to come home or anything. He was so happy and upbeat the whole time. He is really having a great time and loveing being a missionary. But he really made me think....my son is really and truly his own man now. His testimony has grown and has been so strengthened, and he has his own convictions of what he knows. He can take care of himself with the help of his Father in Heaven and has a relationship with him all his own. He is so independent. The apron strings are cut....that was a sad and happy moment at the same time.
I think the highlight of our visit with him was before we hung up the phone. Bryce was talking to him for the last time and Stephen suggested to me that we have family prayer with him over the phone (like we used to do with Mike when he was in Utah) and I thought that was a great idea. So, we asked Michael and he said yes, of course. We asked Michael to say the prayer and he did. Wow! That was such a great experience! You could hear his Australian accent and you could feel his spirit. His prayers are more meaningful and much more Christ centered. It was the neatest experience! Both the boys got pretty emotional. Sweet boys! I love my boys and I am especially proud of our Missionary! What a great Mother's Day treat!
4 comments:
how wonderful - I'm teary-eyed just reading your post.
What a neat experience. You are so lucky!
Oh its so hard to cut those strings but oh so fun to see the people they turn out to be..Your Elder sounds like an outstanding young man..thats what life is all about..so neat..
I bet you were sooooo excited!!!!! I bet he was too! These really are the moments...
Post a Comment