Tuesday, July 27, 2010
An emotional day for Springville football players...
So, every morning around 11:00 I go to pick Stephen up from football practice at the high school. As I wait in the parking lot, many of the players are drivng up from another field in their trucks piled with as many football players that can fit comfortably in their vehicles. So, this morning as I came to pick up Stephen I noticed as we approached the school parking lot that there were people running to one area in the parking lot. As I looked towards the area they were running towards I could see that there was a Jeep that had rolled and was on its side and their was shattered glass. I knew immediately what had to have happened...the boys were hurrying into the parking lot and possibly swerved and had rolled the jeep. As we (my mother in law and I) got closer we could see that as they pulled the jeep over there was one boy who was laying face first on the pavement...my heart sunk! I began to get very emotional. As we got closer we could see that many of the football players were just coming on the scene and were red faced and crying. As we got out and passed by the jeep we could see another boy inside the jeep and blood covering his leg. I then frantically searched for Stephen who I saw just walking up on the scene. There must have been at least 100 football players gathered around. One of the boys was sitting on the ground with a bloody knee, as the rest of the boys all gathered around in a huddle for a prayer, I went over the the boy sitting by himself and asked him if he was in the car, he said he was the "driver". He was so upset and I tried to comfort him but he could not stop crying. The authorities then asked all the boys to please stand back as a helicoper may be coming soon. I then told one of them about the driver and they came to get him to take him back to where they were tending to the other boys. It was a very emotional time for all of us. They finally got all of the boys into the ambulences and they drove off. There was one boy in particular that they had used blankets to make a wall with to sheild him as they were trying to revive him and he was also taken away. Soon all of the boys left to go back to their homes. I was able to hug a couple of these tough football players as they cried in my arms. I could not even imagine what they must have been feeling. It was bad enough for me as a mom to wonder "what if that had been my son". It was a very quiet ride as we drove Stephen back home. After a couple of hours he announced to me that the boys were going back over to the high school....that's where he is now. I got a text from him and he said they were writing letters to the boys and that all would be going home tomorrow except one who is in critical conditon. Many prayers are being said for these boys and their families....please join us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lisa this was on the news and so sad. Our prayers are with all of them!
so sad and so scary how fast lifes can change..my prayers will be added to everyones..
Post a Comment