Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Sweet As



sweet, adj. — fine as far as I'm concerned. The use of 'as' as an intensifier for adjectives has spread, for example 'It's cold as outside', or 'This summer has been hot as'. 'Sweet as' was, until recently with the exporting of NZ television and humour, unique to NZ.


For those of you that follow Elder Nelson's letters from Australia you have probably noticed  him using this phrase many times throughout them. Well, I finally decided to look up the phrase "Sweet As". And yes, it is a commonly used term used as stated above. And boy does he use it! 

 His 3rd  companion Elder Modlik, was from New Zealand and I believe that this is when he first started to use this term consistently.

We have heard from many of our friends about how funny this term sounds. As it does to us as well. However, it is real and I have a feeling we are going to be hearing it a lot more often as Elder Nelson comes home and settles into his American life again. But, I will so much more enjoy hearing it first hand out of his mouth instead of reading it in a letter!

 Elder Nelson's homecoming is certainly going to be "Sweet As"! Cant wait!


1 comment:

Maureen said...

I like that.."sweet as" it just sounds sweet..You'll have him home soon..how exciting..