Monday, July 4, 2011

The Gathering

Last night we drove to West Jordan for a break- the- fast dinner and fhe with the Mark Nelson family.  Mom and Dad also joined us as we enjoyed the last fast sunday meal with Brittani before she heads off on her mission to Germany and the last fast sunday meal we will have without Michael here.  It was an emotional time for all of us.

Mike was aksed to prepare a short fhe message on Independence day/Missionary work.  He didnt bring anything with him just the knowledge in his head and the testimony in his heart.  I was very impressed with the message he shared with us about our freedom and the people who made it possible for us to enjoy what we do today.  He then related this to the gospel and the importance of the work that missionaries do to teach Heavenly Father's children what they need to do in order to be free in this life from Satan's grasp and to return and live with him again.

This led into a discussion about the advice that our children have been given to help them stay close to the spirit.  Which led into a discussion about the blessings of the gospel in our lives and the experiences that some of us adults have had in our lives that have strengthened our testimonies.  It was a very heart warming and touching evening with our extended family.  Mom and Dad sat quietly as some of us shared our feelings about how this family has had such an important impact on our lives.  Dad, in particular, is a man of few words and so I asked him to share with us some words of wisdom.  He was speechless at that moment.  However, it led me to think about the reason his words mean so much to me.  You see, Dad gave our opening prayer.  When Dad prays there is a very deep and humble spirit that accompanies him and all who are partakers.  When I mentioned how his prayers touched me, Stephen nudged me from behind and said, "that's what I was thinking".  So often the spirit speaks so much louder than the words that we say.   Uncle Mark then shared a personal experience about a simple prayer that he heard spoken by his grandfather and how it changed his life.

It is times like these that I cherish and make a difference in my life.  When I say that dreams really do come true.....this is what I mean!



1 comment:

Maureen said...

Sounds like a Perfect Sunday to me..