Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Michael's Homecoming

Well, here we all are back together again!  Michael's homecoming has been a week long thing.  Tuesday July 12th we left for the airport to meet Michael there.  I didn't know what to expect as far as how I would react.  I was tempted to be really upset because Mike found out at the last minute the day before that he would not be able to be at the airport.  I finally decided that we were lucky that Mike had a job and if it meant that he couldn't be there then so be it.  However, we had other family members there.  Anyway, It was a great reunion.  I basically lost it!  Didn't expect that.  I had a difficult time controlling my emotions when he was actually back in my arms.  I apologized to him over and over.  It was as though the past 2 years just flashed before my mind in our embrace and I was so extremely happy to have him back. 

After visiting with family, we left and headed back towards home to meet Mike at his job in Provo.  Mike called and told us that he was headed home shortly and would meet us there.

So, Mike finally showed up shortly after we arrived and jumped out of his truck to welcome his missionary son home again.  Yes,  he was teary eyed.....  What a great reunion.
We then took Michael to the Stake President's office where he met with Michael to release him as a missionary.  Michael rejoined us with red eyes and a tear streaked face. We then went over to Cafe Rio for dinner and family time just the 5 of us.  We went home that night and Michael shared with us the many souveniers he brought home for our family, shared some personal experiences with us and then we had a family prayer before going to bed.  It was a beautiful and wonderful day.  Filled with the spirit of love and thanksgiving.  

On Thursday morning Adam and Katie...two of Michael's best friends showed up with a bunch of other friends from home.  That's when the festivities began and it was a very fun reunion with Michael and his friends.  Harry Potter, Resevoir, Games, movies and a whole lotta fun!  On Saturday we had a big welcome home bash with food, volleyball, music and fun.  We must have had about 100 people all in all show up.  


On Sunday we had Michael's homecoming talk and the minute I sat down in the pew I started to cry.  Sitting on the front pew my view was, Michael sitting on the stand in his blue suit, Stephen at the sacrament table in his black suit and Bryce sitting in front of Stephen ready to pass the sacrament in his white shirt and tie.  To see all 3 of my boys fullfilling their priesthood duties all a the same time was just a dream come true.  It was definately a highlight in mylife!  My heart was filled with joy! We were blessed to have many family members as well as friends come to his homecoming.  Stephen had planned to sing for Michael, the song he sang at his farewell which was, "One Voice".  However, the bishop said that he better not sing in church since it would look too much like a missionary homecoming and they are not supposed to have those anymore.

So, after church we came back for lunch at our home and then we had our own homecoming meeting where Mike and I had the opportunity to express our feelings about our first missionary coming home and the blessings that we have recieved over the past 2 years.  Then Stephen had the opportunity to sing his song which was absolutely sweet, heartfelt and emotional.  And then Michael had the chance to share his feelings and give family and friends the opportunity to ask any questions they had about his mission.  

After Michael's words and questions being answered, we ended with a beautiful arrangement of "Come Thou Fount" by a group of Michael's friends.  It was such a great day!

So, this is the rundown of how the reunion went.  It was great and such a memorable time.  I will be back to talk about some other details as I continue to reminise on this glorious event.  And I will be writing about more of my feelings and observations in my Still Standing blog.

BTW Michael is still on fire....and I love it!!!

3 comments:

Regina and Jim said...

This was a wonderful Day Lisa! His homecoming talk was fabulous, after church was incredible and the spirit was amazing all day long. Our family is lucky to have such a good example in Michael, and Stephen, and even Bryce. I am so glad that all of us understand how important, how truley important the gospel is and how vitally important it is that we all live it to the fullest! Thanks for sharing all of this with my family! Love you!

Maureen said...

Sweet rewards..what a great post..loved seeing all the pictures..I could just feel the love you all have for each other..Your blessings are full..Love to you all!!

Cindy Jensen said...

I don't really know what to say other than I can only imagine how great it must be to have Michael home. I can't wait to see him. I love the picture of you hugging him! Happy Day!