Friday, August 28, 2009

How it all began.


Mike and I met on November 18, 1988. We were both living in Northern California at the time.  I was living in Sacramento and he was living in Fremont. I worked with his brother in law, Wayne Christie, who set us up on a blind date.

While I thought he was good looking and nice, I also thought he was too tall and skinny. (No, not for me.) After our first date he tried to kiss me.....what?! I turned my cheek and LET him kiss my cheek. He never tried again after that. The next day was Sunday and he was still in town so I invited him to attend a fireside with me. He came and picked me up and all that evening I introduced him as "Steve". (Dont ask me why). My roommate had to bring it to my attention. So, that has been a joke of ours ever since. I called my Mom after that weekend and told her about this tall, skinny, nice guy, whom I wasnt all that interested in ,although I did not have a good reason not to be. He was a pretty sharp guy. Well, she convinced me to at least give him another chance if he called me again. Well, he did.

 The following weekend he invited me to his home to meet his family and go to church with him. It was the weekend following Thanksgiving. So, reluctantly I went. When I arrived at his home, there was a banner posted across the front door saying "Welcome Lisa" very cute. We then traveled to his brother and Sister in laws apartment for dinner, where I met my brother in law Mark for the first time coming out of the shower in nothing but a towel. "Hello Mark!" We had dinner and enjoyed visiting and then left for the Oakland Temple where we celebrated the lights going on for the first time that Christmas season. I'll never forget meeting his parents for the first time, they were cuddled up together ouside in front of the temple, keeping eachother warm.....so cute! We went for some hot chocolate after that at Giradelli square. Fun times! I stayed that night in their family's guest room.

The next morning I woke up and got ready for church. When I came out of my room I could hear some familiar music playing downstairs. Familiar tunes that I had listened to in the missionfield. It brought such a good feeling to me at that time. Good memories. When I peeked downstairs there was my future husband sitting at a desk, all dressed and ready for church, reading his scriptures! (No, this could not be......... is he for real? Well, he was doggone it!) We went to church and sitting there with him just felt too right.... Uh Oh........when we got back to his home we spent time looking at old mission photos and talking about his life. He told me how he had no intentions of getting serious anytime soon, he wanted to date around. So, I knew that was my cue to leave as I had dated enough for both of us and I was done. We had dinner and then I packed up to leave. When we said goodbye, I didnt want to leave but I knew I had to for my own good. I left and quickly shook him from my mind.

Well, he called AGAIN! And the following weekend we met in the Oakland Temple as my ward was going there and his family was also attending. That was Friday night. The next day he came down for another visit. I made dinner and after we ate we went on a double date with an old mission companion of mine and her husband to see a movie "Oliver and Company". We talked a lot that night and I was really enjoying getting to know him. He was charming, kind, polite and best of all he had a strong testimony of the gospel....impressive. However, he again expressed to me his desire to not get serious at this time in his life and date around. At this point I was feeling something that scared me to death! (No, No, No! I do not like this guy, I havent even kissed him! ) So, I told him that I did understand his position and that after he had had his fill of dating I hoped he would call me again, if I was still around, and maybe we could go out again. I dont think he expected that because he got a bit squirmy. Well, that night I did not sleep well at all. (I found out later that neither did he).

 I called my brother in law early the next morning and asked him to give me a blessing as I had to take this guy to church with me and was feeling wigged out about this whole situation! Well, my brother in law gave me a blessing and talked about marriage. (What? Marriage? Who said anything about marriage?) Well, Mike had stayed in a nearby hotel that night and came to pick me up for church that morning. Again it just felt so right being there with him, it was freaking me out! Church was wonderful, and funny thing, the sunday school teacher introduced him as "Steve". We both looked at eachother and just laughed. That night we went to my mother's home for dinner and she met him for the first time. She was quite impressed and we had a good time there. We then went back to church for the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional.( All of these spiritual settings were really getting to me and confirming to me that he was someone very special.) That night when we got back to my apartment, we started to talk a bit more seriously. This time Mike had changed his position about dating and we started talking more about our hopes and dreams. By the time he left that night we had determined that we needed to pray about the possibility of marriage. (Still no kissing......darnit!)

The following weekend we met in the Oakland Temple again and by this time I "Knew". We didnt actually see eachother there until we ended up in the celestial room where I entered first and then was bombarded by this 6' 3 1/2" beautiful, hunk of a man grabbing me and hugging me and telling me over and over how much he loved me.  I guess he "Knew" too!

 And that is how my sweet husband and I started this whole wonderful mess!! We were officially engaged on the evening of December 24, 1988 when he took me to the Oakland Temple and proposed to me. We were Married on March 4, 1989 for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple.

Oh, and we've been doing a lot more than kissing ever since!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everytime I hear this story I love it more and more:) Makes me happy! Ahppy Anniversary Mike and Lisa!!